1. UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE: Please upgrade the firmware on your Helix and the HX Edit software from Line 6 to the latest before installing this patch. Even if your Helix is up to date, the ‘HX Edit’ app needs to be updated as well. If you get an error importing a patch, the problem is most likely outdated firmware on your Helix/HX Edit.
2. IR’s INCLUDED: This download includes an Impulse Responses that is custom made for this preset. The IR acts as both the cab/speaker portion of the signal chain, and the tone matching that makes this patch sound just our A30/6 Top Boost. For this reason, we do not have a ‘stock’ version of this preset, and you must use the IR to get the intended result.
Here is the IR included:
- WT AC30-6 TB TM H
With Firmware 2.90, Helix should recall the IR based on its name rather than slot number, so it shouldn’t matter which slot you import the IR into. If you do get an error regarding IR locations, simply confirm that the IR’s are loaded into the correct blocks in the Helix and re-save the patch.
This download includes two patches as well as the IR. The patches are:
- AC30TB TM WT SC – This patch uses the IR’s and is meant for guitars with single coils or low output humbuckers
- AC30TB TM WT HB – This patch uses the IR’s and is meant for guitars with more traditionally voiced humbuckers
NOTE: There is no stock cab version of this patch – tonally it is dependent on the included IR cabs.
HOW TO IMPORT THIS PATCH AND IR
- Connect your Helix to your computer using a USB Cable
Download and instal the ‘HX Edit’ app from Line 6
In the ‘HX Edit’ app, drag and drop the patch into a slot in the ‘PRESETS’ column
To import an IR, switch to the ‘IMPULSES’ column (next to the PRESETS column), and drag & drop the IR into the an open slot.
PLEASE NOTE: If you do not have the IR loaded into the ‘IMPULSES’ column, the patch will not sound correct, even if you have the IR block on – you must drag and drop the IR into the IMPULSES column.
OUR UK-made Top Boost 30 watt amp — NOW IN YOUR HELIX
For this preset, we matched the Essex 30 amp model in the Helix to our amplifier (the same one the Essex is based on). Our amp features two Alnico Blue speakers. We matched the Helix amp model to the Brilliant channel on our amp (our favorite). The result is an impulse response that completely transforms the HX amp model – it sounds exactly like our amplifier (and the microphones, preamps, and EQ we use to record it).
SIGNAL FLOW AND EFFECTS
Deluxe Comp – not mapped to a switch, always on
Heir Apparent (low gain) – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT Yellow)’
Heir Apparent (high gain) – mapped to switch labeled ‘KOT Red)’
Scream 808 – mapped to switch labeled ‘808’
Volume (log curve) – mapped to EXP 2
Amp – Essex A30
IR – see above for IR info
Cali Q EQ – Always on EQ – Use this EQ to make tonal tweaks for your guitar/setup. These controls will affect your tone differently than the amp controls.
Tremolo – mapped to a switch labeled ‘Tremolo’
Trinity Chorus – mapped to a switch labeled ‘Chorus’
Transistor Tape – 1/8 note delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘1/8 Delay’
Vintage Digital – 1/8d delay – mapped to switch labeled ‘.8th DLY’
Dual Delay – Dual Delay (1/8d + 1/8) – mapped to switch labeled ‘Dual ST DLY’
Plate – Mapped to a switch labeled ‘Plate’
Dynamic Hall Verb – ambient reverb – mapped to a switch labeled ‘Dyn Hall Big’
Glitz Verb – used in swells
This patch is meant to be used in either stompbox or snapshot mode. We recommend setting up your Helix to use all ten stomps (stompbox mode) or all eight snapshots (snapshot mode). The Helix LT does not allow 10-button stomp mode, so you’ll have to re-arrange the button assignments to suite your preferences.
Everything after the EQ block (after the amp) runs in stereo. If you are able to run stereo, the wet effects will sound bigger and better. If you only use the L/Mono output of the Helix, everything will be summed to mono automatically. NOTE: Do not use just the Right output of the helix – some of the delays will not be audible if you do this.
There are eight snapshots included in this patch to get different sounds (all patches feature the same snapshots).
- Snapshot 1: CLEAN. This is the base clean tone with delay.
- Snapshot 2: DRIVE. Light overdrive.
- Snapshot 3: DRIVE +: Bigger overdrive
- Snapshot 4: P&W LEAD – Lead tone with lots of reverb and delay
- Snapshot 5: AMBI CLEAN – Ambient Clean tone
- Snapshot 6: 80’s CLEAN – Clean tone with chorus
- Snapshot 7: TREM CLEAN – Clean tone with tremolo
- Snapshot 8: SWELLS – Big ambient swells
MAKING ADJUSTMENTS FOR YOUR SETUP
SETTING THE PATCH UP FOR YOUR GUITAR
All guitars are different, so you may want to make changes to suite your playing style and guitar. We set this up with a variety of guitars, including both single coils and humbuckers (primarily a Telecaster style guitar). If your guitar has humbuckers, please refer to the suggested settings below.
We recommend making a copy of the patch and changing the copy just in case you want to revert back to the original.
We’ve included both single coil and humbucker voiced patches to serve as starting points for your guitars. To make adjustments, we recommend starting with these parameters:
- Amp Gain: Adjust the amp gain so that your guitar is slightly breaking up with big chords on the bridge position (without any drive pedals on)
- Amp EQ controls: Adjust these to suite your individual guitars/taste
- Cali Q Graphic EQ block: This is a simple way to adjust the overall tonal characteristics of the patch.
If you would like to make this patch louder or quieter without affecting tone, the following adjustments can be made:
“Ch Vol” control on the amp module. This will increase or decrease volume without affecting the tone of the amp. This is the primary level adjustment tool I use for changing patch volumes.
Output block level. Changing the level control on the output block (the very last thing in the signal chain) will increase or decrease overall volume. We typically have this set at zero, but feel free to adjust this as you see fit.
- Download your products from the Helix Marketplace section of your Line 6 account page. Click on each of them to begin the download.
- Unzip the downloaded files.
- Import presets and impulse responses into HX Edit or Helix Native. Follow the user guide for both applications for how to import these assets.
- HX Edit and Helix Native will need to verify your purchase online and will post a log-in dialog. Please log in with your Line 6 account credentials. Your log in data needs to be identical to the one used for your purchase. Authorization will occur automatically.
- Helix/HX firmware version 2.7 or higher
- HX Edit software version 2.7 or higher
- Helix Native software version 1.7 or higher
Files purchased on ‘HELIX Marketplace’ are proprietary, and are intended for use solely with Line 6 Hardware, currently HELIX Floor, Helix Rack, HELIX LT, HX Stomp, HX Effects and/or POD Go. Files are not always compatible between devices, so please check the product's description as well as the Marketplace Compatibility filter before making a purchase. The files may not be compatible with third-party or non-Line 6 products.
For support questions regarding Marketplace purchases, software downloads, and general usage of Line 6 hardware and software products, please contact Line 6 customer service.
Authorizing Marketplace Presets and Impulse Responses
Marketplace products have minimum software and firmware requirements:
Licensed Digital Download End User License Agreement
Digital downloads (“Digital Downloads”) made available through the Line 6 Web Store’s Marketplace are licensed, not sold, to you. Your license to each Digital Download is subject to your prior acceptance of either this Licensed Digital Download End User License Agreement (“Standard EULA”), or a custom end user license agreement between you and the Digital Download Provider (“Custom EULA”), if one is provided. Your license to any Line 6 Digital Download under this Standard EULA or any Custom EULA is granted by Line 6, and your license to any Third Party Digital Download under this Standard EULA or Custom EULA is granted by the Digital Download Provider of that Third Party Digital Download. Any Digital Download that is subject to this Standard EULA is referred to herein as the “Licensed Digital Download.” The Digital Download Provider or Line 6 as applicable (“Licensor”) reserves all rights in and to the Licensed Digital Download not expressly granted to you under this Standard EULA.
2. Ownership. Licensor retains ownership of all intellectual property rights in and to the Licensed Digital Download, including copies, improvements, enhancements, derivative works and modifications thereof. Your rights to Use the Licensed Digital Download are limited to those expressly granted by this Standard EULA. No other rights with respect to the Licensed Digital Download or any related intellectual property rights are granted or implied.
3. Consent to Use of Data. You agree that Licensor may collect and use technical data and related information—including but not limited to technical information about your device, system and Digital Download software, and peripherals—that is gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, product support, and other services to you (if any) related to the Licensed Digital Download. Licensor may use this information, as long as it is in a form that does not personally identify you, to improve its products or to provide services or technologies to you.